Templates and Kudos!

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:01 PM
Edited Sep 2, 2007 at 8:02 PM
Hey Ivan,

Thanks for putting this awesome tool together. It was exactly what I needed to script my set of highly populated dbs to individual code files.

In doing this I added a few features that I needed (I've submitted a patch)
1 - The ability to have script templates so that I could include my company's standard changelog header
2 - The ability to skip objects that couldn't be scripted because of an exception
3 - The ability to include IF..EXISTS statements for tables.

Nice work on the tool and on your very tidy code :)

Thanks,
Luke
Coordinator
Sep 3, 2007 at 5:06 AM
"2 - The ability to skip objects that couldn't be scripted because of an exception"
Hmm.... what was throwing an exception? I rely heavily on Smo's scripting, and haven't seem too many issues. Got some example T-SQL to create the offender?

I'll download your patch and integrate it into the published source. (Thanks for sharing your work)
Sep 3, 2007 at 5:59 AM

ivanjh wrote:
"2 - The ability to skip objects that couldn't be scripted because of an exception"
Hmm.... what was throwing an exception? I rely heavily on Smo's scripting, and haven't seem too many issues. Got some example T-SQL to create the offender?

I'll download your patch and integrate it into the published source. (Thanks for sharing your work)

Hey Ivan, I was getting an exception when trying to script encrypted objects (I had hit an encrypted view). A good test is to create an encrypted proc and then try script it.

ps: What about allowing someone to script a single object? That could be useful.